Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Wolf At The Table

Have you ever read a book and just felt totally refreshed?  That's what happens when I read an Augusten Burroughs book.  Have you heard of Running With Scissors?  It's written by him.

A Wolf At The Table is another of his books:



Almost all of his stories are memoirs or stories of his really wacked childhood and even adult life.  He grew up in an almost unimaginable way and it really makes for a great story.  Most of the situations are pretty depressing and usually hard to believe, but boy does he have a way of making them hilarious.

But more importantly, the reason why he is the best writer I have ever read:


When I read his books, my senses are in an uproar.  I can smell exactly what he is smelling.  I can taste it, feel it, see it, etc.  He has a way of explaining these feelings that no one else on earth would think of.  I get a child-like refreshing feeling and I completely trust in him, so much that I wish it was me in his place.

 A Wolf at the Table is a memoir of Burroughs' childhood and his relationship with his father.  As a small boy, all he ever wanted was to feel loved by his dad.  This book is about the trials and tribulations of a little boy who would do anything to get a hug from the man who he looked up to.

 I will list a few of my favorite quotes without giving away too much (because secretly, this is an advertisement: GO BUY HIS BOOKS!):

We checked into a Holiday Inn just off Interstate 91 in Northampton.  The first thing I did was stand on the bed and touch the rough, sparkly ceiling.  I could just reach it.  As I drew my finger across the coarse, prickly surface I enjoyed a sense of relief and fulfillment--it felt exactly as I know it would (p.78).

When I spoke to my father my voice came out low and soft, almost a whisper.  "I don't really believe in a God that gives you new ice skates and stuff."  I kept to myself that when I ate vanilla frosting straight from the can, I could feel God standing right beside me like a real best friend, watching and smiling and wishing he had a mouth (p. 162).

Visit Augusten Burrough's Website to learn more about his books and his life!

No comments:

Post a Comment