Saturday, August 20, 2011

Busy Bee

As the new school year is approaching, I am beginning to feel the tiniest pinches of stress in my neck.

I actually really enjoy my job (as long as I'm not thinking about the BS that is public education).  And I am a super hard worker, so I am always keeping myself busy.  Even though I am often really busy, I am enjoying it so I have lots of motivation to continue my work ethic.  Every year that I have worked so far I have had a few things that have caused me stress.  I can't wait for an entire school year where the only thing I have to worry about is doing my job well.  For instance, the first two years of teaching for me were in new schools each time.  This is my third year teaching but only my first year of seeing the same kids as last year.  So that has been taken off of my shoulders.  It's always hard getting acquainted to your new building, students, administrators, coworkers, etc.  While there are a few personnel changes at our school, at least I have a good idea of what's to come.  And I will no longer be the newbie (sp?)

But, as always, I take things overboard.  Here is a "short" list of what is to come for the school year that is starting in two days:

  • I am working my regular job full time.  PK-5 General Music teacher.  Because of some changes at my school this year, I am going to be teaching more classes this year, sometimes 11 in one day... and with less planning time.  And I am starting a chorus, which I didn't have last year.
  • I just got hired for another position after school every day teaching a program called STARS.  It's about project-based learning for students who are "at-risk".  By the way--I hate that term.  I don't think it's fair to label students that way.  But I am excited for the program in general.  I will probably teach general ed stuff and music stuff.  SO, instead of being at work from 8a-4p every day, I will be there from 8a-6p.  Less time for at home stuff, but I am happy to be getting paid more.  Josh also plans to take advantage of some after-school teaching opportunities at his school this year as well.
  • I am still charging full speed ahead in my master's program.  I am going to be taking one class in the Fall and one in the Spring.  One class doesn't sound like much, but it really is.  We meet in a virtual classroom once per week and I am pretty much spending the rest of my free time reading or working on a paper or project.
  • A friend of ours, Wesley Rice, recently moved here with another good friend of mine who will be teaching in my county.  Wesley owns a clarinet repair shop in Salisbury and is starting lessons at his shop.  Josh and I are both trying to gain some students at the shop and make some extra dough.  Check out his website.

So, since it is the beginning of the year, I am still really excited and have lots of motivation to start these new and exciting projects.  We will see how it goes!  Please pray for me :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment