Our master bathroom is awesome. There, I said it. When we were house-shopping, a master bathroom was not on the "wish list". Here was our House-Shopping "Wish-List":
- Large Kitchen with lots of counter and cabinet space. Didn't get it.
- Two story (no ranchers). Got it.
- At least 1500 square feet. Didn't get it.
- At least 3 bedrooms. Got it.
- Built after 1980. Got it.
- Prefer yard/garden space. Got it.
- Extra Room (besides the regular living room/dining room). Maybe a great room or family room. Didn't get it.
- No renovations necessary. Got it.
So, we got three out of eight things in our "dream house". And as you can see, there was no "master bathroom" on our list. We weren't interested in huge bathrooms with double vanities. When we saw this one, we thought it was cool, but definitely wasn't in the top 10 reasons why we fell in love with this home.
But now that we live here, it's awesome. The only thing I would add is a kick-a$$ tub. Lots of people get these big spa tubs in their bathrooms and then never use them. I would not be one of those people. I actually take baths pretty often and an awesome tube would be an excellent edition to my life. But here is our list of favorites or "things-we-like":
- Double vanity. Even though it wasn't our intention to get one, it's awesome. We both brush our teeth at the same time.
- Cabinet space below. There is plenty of storage in this bathroom which is awesome because it keeps our sinks and counters pretty clear of clutter.
- The cabinets are white!
- The tile floor. It's beautiful.
- The mirror. It's huge and pretty and easy to clean.
- Our closets are connected to this bathroom, which makes it easy to get dressed in the morning.
- All of the hardware is silver.
Things we don't like so much:
- I wish the tub was fancier, bigger, and had jets.
- Even though the tile floor is beautiful, it shows dirt like whoa. I will admit that I keep a small, light vacuum in my closet and frequently vacuum the hair and dust that shows so easily on the floor.
Here is the current state of the bathroom:
We really haven't done much. We put up the shower curtain and tissue holder, toothbrush holder, and trash can from our old house.
|Oh, by the way, I love that there is a window in our little toilet-nook.|
The future plans for the bathroom (even though we really don't have a clear vision of what we want our bathroom to look like) are simple and easy. We would really like to get started on our bedroom before we start the bathroom since they are connected and we would like the bathroom to kind of be an extension of the bedroom. Here are the not-too-detailed-plans for this room:
- Paint... something that compliments the color we choose for our bedroom. Or maybe even the same color.
- Raise the shower curtain to the ceiling and purchase an extra-long curtain so that it goes from ceiling to floor. It will give the illusion of a taller room and make it feel even more open.
- Replace the brown metal tissue holder/toothbrush holder/trash can combo with silver stuff to match the rest of the sink hardware and whatnot.
That's the short list. Eventually we would like to paint the cabinets, decorate, change the hardware on the cabinets, and purchase some brightly colored towels. This room is kind-of on the back burner for the time being.
Check out more Before and Not-So-After rooms: