Monday, November 21, 2011

A Man, A Plan, A Canal: Panama

It seemed like the most appropriate title.  I tried to come up with a palindrome about a root canal, but couldn't do it.  Let me know if you think of one.

So, we went to my brother's wedding.  It was a good time and my new sister-in-law got her dream wedding.  They were both so happy :-)  More updates on that later.

For the past week, I have been dealing with some serious tooth pain.  It was at its worst at the wedding and then the peak was on the drive home last night.  I think I deal with pain fairly well.  I try not to complain much when I'm sick and I believe I am good at hiding it when I need to (like at work or something).  Well, that's what I had to do over the weekend.  I knew in my mind that something was seriously wrong.

I told Josh last night in the car that if I couldn't get a dentist appointment today that I was going to have to head to the ER.  I got one.  I have been taking what is probably 3 times the recommended dosage of ibuprofen and tylenol the past few days and was so relieved when the dentist walked in that I just started crying (for the first time).  He took an x-ray and came back and said, "Well, there's no question.  You have a severe abscess.  Here is a narcotic.  Here is an antibiotic.  Call this endodontist and schedule a root canal immediately."

Shucks.

I have had a root canal before.  Then one of the posts in my tooth broke and I had to have a re-treatment of that same root canal.  I know people complain about root canals like they are the worst thing in the world.  The truth is: they aren't.  If you have ever had an abscessed tooth giving you what is without a doubt the worst pain you have ever felt and your dentist tells you that you need a root canal... you thank him and make the appointment.

The worst part is that my insurance only covers 50% so we have to spend our holiday money on my eff-ing tooth.  Whatev.  Such is life.

I took my narcotic.  All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment