Friday, November 11, 2011

Someone Lives in My House!

First of all, it is 11/11/11 and I am posting this at 11:11am.  By the way, this is officially the best day (and minute) ever because 11 is my favorite number.  Who cares that it was a full moon last night and my students are nutso?  Anyway...

I will be the first to admit:  I'm not much in a garden.  I'm not much of an "outside your house" decorator.  I wish I could do better... maybe next spring and summer.  But it occurred to me the other day as I was driving up to my house on my way home from work that someone could literally walk by my house and assume that it was abandoned.  There is absolutely not one personal "thing" outside our home that would make a passerby assume that someone lived there.  I hope to eventually put a bench or some rocking chairs on the front porch with a tiny end table so I can sit out there in the summer and drink my morning coffee.  Wouldn't that be nice?  But for now I was on a tight budget.  So I thought a wreath would be appropriate.  I love wreaths.  Outside only.  And I would love to have a collection of wreaths that I can swap with seasons/moods.  This is officially Wreath #1 Post.

I was inspired on Pinterest by a bunch of felt rosette wreaths like this one:

Pinned Image

and this one:

Pinned Image

And believe it or not, I did it! And it cost me less than $6.  I bought one grapevine wreath and 5 pieces of felt, spent about one hour on the floor with scissors and a hot glue gun and I came up with this:



It's so easy.  Cut out a circle of any size.  I chose a few different sizes.  Cut a spiral from the outside and keep going until you get to the middle.



Simply roll it up from the outside in.  Glue it at the end and glue it to the wreath.  It's that easy.  And now it looks like someone lives here:



I love it.  Even Josh loves it.  And he usually thinks that my DIY/craft projects turn out like kindergarten art.  And now it looks like someone lives here.  And I am on my way to having a multitude of wreaths that I can switch out whenever I want.  By the way, did you notice the porch "ceiling"?  Look, it's beautiful:




Beautiful hardwood!  It's awesome and we love to look at it.  We want to stain it next spring. It needs to be kept up so it will stay nice.  Happy weekend!

2 comments:

  1. The wreath turned out great! Also very jealous of that hardwood. It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! I'm now thinking of getting a wreath together for our home. We live in a townhouse that looks like and is connected to a bunch of others. It is really not personal, and this is one way I could make it personalized.

    Thanks!

    PS - I found your blog from the Share Your Blogs on Weddingbee :)

    ReplyDelete