Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tasty Tuesdays: Chicken and Wild Rice Soup


***Tasty Tuesdays is for sharing a meal/dessert/snack recipe that you made this week.  It doesn't have to be gourmet!  It just has to taste good! If you want to link up, let me know and I will link you to my Tuesday posts.  Use this^ button to link back to my page!  

First of all, let me say that fall is my favorite season.  Soup and pasta are my favorite foods.  Soup and pasta are perfect in fall.  Therefore, I will probably be sharing lots of fall-ish recipes.  I found this one in a Family Circle magazine, ripped it out, and forgot about it.  I found it and decided to give it a go.  We ended up really liking it!

1. Gather ingredients:

3 cans chicken broth 
4 cups water
2 boxes of Rice-A-Roni wild rice (should have used wild rice, not rice a roni, but I didn't have any)
1 med onion
some celery
some carrots (we LOVE carrots, so I used a lot)
about 2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded (when I buy chicken breast in bulk, I cook and shred it all, then freeze it for later)
poultry seasoning
salt and pepper

 

2. Sprinkle about 1 c of wild rice into pot.  Add the medium onion, chopped.  Add carrots, peeled and chopped. Add celery, chopped. (I used about two ribs of celery--Josh doesn't really like it)

3. Add chicken, chicken broth, and water.

4.  Add 2 tsp poultry seasoning, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.

5.  Simmer until rice is cooked.  

I missed a crucial ingredient: the water.  DOH!  It was not soupy at all, but still really good.  Next time, I will use the water :-)  You could also add mushrooms or any other vegetable that you like in your soup.  I usually cut up some celery leaves to put on top, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment