Monday, October 3, 2011

Mirror, Mirror, On the Wall

When I was at Marshall's a few weeks ago buying an ironing board cover to update our ironing board, I picked up this beauty for only 12 bucks.


I LOVE circle mirrors and this one was just awesome.  But there was one problem.  I didn't like the antique-iness of it, see?


So I thought, Easy fix.  I'll just paint it.

I would have liked to paint it a crazy color like pink or yellow or something, but couldn't really find a reason.  So I figured I would paint it a charcoal gray (safe) and if I ever wanted to change it I could.  So I gathered my stuff.  I thought it would be easy.  I would just take the mirror out, spray paint the outside part, and then stick the mirror back in.  It looks like you can do that because of the cardboard on the back and the little clasps that seem to be holding it in.


But, of course, it wasn't that easy.  The cardboard was glued to the glass, which was also glued to the edges of the mirror.  There was no chance of getting it out.  Plan B was to cover the mirror, and paint around it.  But how?  I have plenty of card stock, but couldn't bear the idea of wasting it on this, so I used old already-colored pieces of card stock that I had printed as coloring pages and then colored (or partially colored).  I just taped them on with painters tape and cut them in a circle, taped around the edges so that I would not get any paint on the mirror itself, and then spray painted it!



I know what you're thinking.  And the answer is yes.  I actually print card stock into coloring pages (sometimes even Sponge Bob) and color them with Sharpie markers.  So sue me.

Anyway, after letting the paint dry and revealing the final product, I was satisfied.  My intention was to put the mirror in the office upstairs, but on my way up, I saw an opportunity.  And it was meant to be:


At the top of the stairs!  Please ignore the weird light at the top.  How do you like it?  I don't know if that is going to be its permanent home, but it looks good for now.



I just had to take a picture of me taking a picture.  And this seemed like the most appropriate face.

2 comments:

  1. super cute! I would looooooooove to find a metal frame similar to this for our dining room when it gets finished (eventually); spheres and circles are *so* in right now.

    (btw found you through the monthly blogshare on wb)

    http://adventuresinbuildingbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete