Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tasty Tuesdays: New Orleans Style Shrimp


***Tasty Tuesdays is for sharing a meal/dessert/snack recipe that you made this week.  It doesn't have to be gourmet!  It just has to taste good! If you want to link up, let me know and I will link you to my Tuesday posts.  Use this^ button to link back to my page!  

The week before our friends' wedding, we had them over for dinner every night!  And I tried new recipes each time.  Most were great, some were good.  We really liked this take on "New Orleans Shrimp".  I found this recipe from the May 2011 issue of the Food Network Magazine.
 
You will need:
24 lg shrimp in the shell
1 tbsp Creole seasoning (I used Zatarain's)
6 tbsp butter
2 bunches scallions, chopped
1/4 c Worcestershire sauce
1 c frozen corn kernels ( I used a can)
2 plum tomatoes
French Bread
 

1. Peel the shrimp, leaving tails on.  Reserve the shells.  Rinse the shrimp in a colander; drain and pat dry.  Sprinkle with the creole seasoning.  I have found something that I truly hate.  That is peeling raw shrimp.  EWW.


Shells---also gross.
2. Heat 2 tbsp butter in lg skillet over high heat.  Add shrimp shells and half of scallions.  Cook until the shells turn pink (1-2 min).  Add Worcestershire sauce and 1 1/2 c water and cook until reduced by half, about 5 min.


 3. Strain the shrimp broth through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl, discard the solids.  I didn't have a fine-mesh strainer, but I used a paper towel and squeezed the liquid through it.

4. Melt remaining 4 tbsp butter in skillet over high heat.  Add shrimp and remaining scallions.  Cook until the shrimp turn pink, about 1 minute.  Add reserved shrimp broth and simmer about 3 more min.


4. Meanwhile, put corn in bowl and microwave until hot.  Cut tomato into chunks.  Divide corn and tomato among bowls.  Add shrimp and ladle in the broth.  Serve with bread.  I used toasted french bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment